Nothing can explain the feeling of having a life growing inside the body. At one moment you must be glowing with enthusiasm and in the other, you must be overcome with emotion. This is due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy that mood swings happen. This can mind through practicing yoga. Yoga is both a fitness exercise with relaxation benefits.
During pregnancy women battle with mood swings, fatigue, sickness, painful leg cramps and breathing problems. Thus doctors prescribe pregnant women to take prenatal yoga classes for fitness and for hackle-free delivery. But the expectant should share with her doctor about the health history before jumping to an exercise.
But certain yoga postures like happy baby pose, corpse pose, downward facing dog poses should be avoided by pregnant women because some of them are responsible to reduce blood flow to the uterus and increase foetal heart rate. Again some studies proved that they are completely safe during pregnancy. Thus some postures should be listed down for the pregnant ladies which they could practice during pregnancy. The safe yoga poses for pregnancy should not put any stretch on the abdomen of the mother.
Yoga postures for pregnancy
- The twisted pose- It is also known as “Vakrasna”. It will benefit our spine, legs, hands, neck.
- The chair pose- It is known as “Utkatasana”. It strengthens thighs and pelvic muscles.
- The angle pose- It helps to flexible our waist and curbs the fat of the waist region into the body. It is also known as “Konasana”.
- The ham’s pose with one leg- Through practicing it regularly can strengthen the abdominal, pelvic and thigh muscles. It is famous as “Paryankasana”.
- The extended hand to big tow poses- It generally strengthen the pelvic ad thigh muscles. It is also known as “Hast Panangustasana”.
- The butterfly pose- It helps to strengthen the inner thighs and pelvic region of our body. It is known to all as “Bhadrasana”.
- The mountain pose- It helps to improve our body postures and give relief to any back pain. It is known as “Parvatasana”.
- The stick pose- It corrects our body postures as doing this our body get stretched. Thus body tensions get relieved by doing this. It is known to all as “Yastikasana”.
Yoga poses should be avoided during pregnancy
Thus yoga is very beneficial during pregnancy as long as you take certain precautions. The fast flowing poses, boat, the moon and other twisting or compressing poses should be avoided during the first trimester. Other poses like cobra, locust, bow, swan, wheel, fish and camel poses should also be avoided as they can damage joints and ligaments. Even “Savasana” in which you have to lie down on your back should be avoided. Again “Konasana” cannot also be continued after the seventh month of pregnancy.
So bottom line is that there is some yoga poses to avoid during pregnancy and it would be better to consult your health care provider as they will be able to advise you better.