Quick Summary: Going by this review, we consider the Lundberg Organic Sushi Rice, California White to be the clear winner here. In comparison with other reviewed products, it meets most of the qualities of the best rice for sushi as outlined above. For instance, the rice is white and has short grains. The rice is also produced in the Japanese manner, a proof of the closeness of the product to the best rice used by the Japanese to make their favorite rice meal. What is more, the rice is not sticky or mucky when it is cooked, meeting another requirement mentioned above. By making it gluten free and consumable for both koshers and vegans, it ticks all the boxes as the ideal rice product. You can equally compare the qualities of this rice with the qualities of the best rice discussed above and see why we consider it the best for the purpose.
If you love sushi but have a hard time finding it locally, you’ll enjoy the convenience of making it at home. The process is a lot easier than most people realize, but there are a few ingredients that you need to purchase ahead of time to ensure you get an authentic flavor and texture. One of those items is sushi rice.
What is it and how is it different from regular white rice? Medium grain rice, also called sushi rice, has a higher level of gluten. This makes it stickier after cooking and holds together better when assembling your favorite sushi rolls.
To make authentic Japanese sushi, this rice is mixed with sushi vinegar, sugar, and salt as directed by most sushi recipes. They can also be a bit more expensive than regular white rice.
However, it is definitely worth it. Having the right texture and consistency is crucial to making sushi at home and skipping this element can make the experience a flop.
Unfortunately, quality rice can be difficult to purchase at your local grocery store if you live in certain areas of the country. Instead, consider purchasing it online. To make the process easier, we’ve put together this list of the best sushi rice brands to help get you started.
- Comparison of 10 Best Rice For Sushi
- Reviews of 10 Top Rice For Sushi
- What Makes the Best Sushi Rice
- What Type of Rice is Used For Sushi
- How to Choose the Best Rice For Sushi
- Final Verdict
Reviews of 10 Top Rice For Sushi
It is now time to review 10 top sushi rice. The goal is to help you choose the right one. These are:
This is another product that can be a handful when looking for the best sushi rice preparation.
The Lundberg Organic has most of the features of the best rice for preparing sushi.
It is white with short grain in the classic Japanese fashion.
It is also gluten-free and can be consumed by both koshers and vegans in order to break any dietary boundary.
Therefore, it is not out of the ordinary when many sushi consumers consider this organic rice to be one of the best rice products for preparing this Japanese delicacy.
- Pack of six helps with portion control and overall storage.
- A vegan and kosher product.
- Non-GMO Project certified and USDA organic..
- Ideal texture for sushi and other similar recipes.
- Farmed in California.
- Smaller indivduapackages than other brands available on the market.
The Kokuho Rice is made from new crop and offers you the highest grade.
The producers of this Japanese rice have the objective of making the cooking process easy without spending too much time on your sushi rice recipe.
It is medium-grain rice and is plump when steamed. The rice is equally good for vegans and vegetarians too.
You can consider buying this rice if you are living in the US and find it difficult to get the best medium grain rice in the local store or supermarket.
You can buy this 5-pound rice for making the delicious meal for yourself or family.
- Affordable price for a five-pound bag.
- Great for most sushi or traditional sticky rice recipes.
- Grown in the United States.
- Easy to cook using a rice cooker or by using other popular methods.
- Not certified organic or vegan.
- Price is more expensive than other brands.
This white sushi rice from RiceSelect has most of the basic features of the best rice.
It is made of 100% natural ingredients without sodium and fat. This makes the rice very rich in protein.
When it comes to flavor, it boasts of sweet flavor that is one of the most important qualities of the best medium grain rice.
Made in Texas, US, the ingredients for the RiceSelect Sushi Rice are sourced for locally.
Don’t Worry! Though it’s in plastic airtight containers, they are BPA free. You can get four cases of 32-ounce jars of rice for your cooking pleasure.
- Low in fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
- Certified gluten free and kosher.
- Comes in a canister container with a lid instead of a bag for ease of storage.
- High quality premium rice ideal for a variety of uses.
- Price is incredibly high for only two pounds of rice.
The Tamanishiki grain rice is produced in California, USA.
This 15-pound package contains a rice product that is made from natural ingredients to retain its natural taste and value.
It is also short-grain white rice for sushi lovers around the globe, especially those living in California and its environments.
It’s Unique! The rice is a general acceptance. It receives from major Japanese restaurants that use it for making sushi meals for their sushi-loving customers.
You can get a bag of the short-grain rice and treat yourself to sumptuous meals of sushi.
- Quality milled rice with an ideal texture for sushi.
- Brand is commonly used by many high-end Japanese restaurants.
- Grown in California.
- All-natural milled rice with no additives.
- Exceptionally large bag is hard to store and might be too much for some families.
California is also the home of this 15-pound rice. Unlike most medium grain rice products, the Nishiki Premium Rice is medium-grain rice and is consumed by many people as sushi rice.
Many lovers of sushi consider this rice as the best choice for their everyday consumption.
The rice is relatively cheap as a bag of the rice goes for a little over on Amazon, one of the leading sellers of medium grain rice.
With proper washing, the Nishiki Premium Rice remains one of the best products to be considered when shopping for the best.
- Premium grade rice ideal for sushi, appetizers, Japanese cuisine, and so much more.
- Large bag is great for families and those who enjoy rice on a daily basis.
- All-natural and grown in the United States.
- One of the more expensive brands on the market.
You’ll love the texture and consistency of this premium-grade rice. Cooking authentic Japanese sushi at home is easy with Natural Earth Products Sushi Rice.
With this top rice for sushi, you can make a wide variety of recipes including traditional sticky rice, onigiri, and more.
Kosher Certified and Gluten-Free
If you’re on a diet or have similar restrictions, finding foods that are both high quality and meet your needs can be tough. Thankfully, Natural Earth Products is both kosher certified and gluten-free.
To keep your rice as fresh as possible over weeks or months in the pantry, this product comes in two resealable bags.
Ideal Texture for Sushi
This product is slightly sticky and creamy, which is ideal for traditional Japanese cooking and most sushi recipes.
- Premium rice with consistent texture.
- Flavorless to allow the taste of your recipe to shine through.
- Costly for only two 16-ounce packs.
You’ll love the price and quantity of this traditional rice. If you want to enjoy both quantity and quality, you’ll love this massive package of white medium grain rice from Lundberg Family Farms.
Family Owned and Operated Company
Lundberg Family Farms is family owned and operated. Their rice products are grown in California.
Gluten-Free and USDA Organic
Ensuring your family eats healthier is easy with this gluten-free and certified USDA organic sushi rice.
Over 25 Pounds of Rice
Whether you’re stocking up for an emergency or your family just really likes sushi, this giant bag of rice is both economical and delicious.
- Large bag ideal for stocking a family pantry.
- Healthy and natural.
- Grown in the United States.
- Extra sticky for use in sushi and other recipes.
- Twenty-five pounds is a lot of rice that not everyone has room to store.
You’ll love the texture and consistency of this premium grade product, which is why it is some of the best rice brands.
Making sushi at home starts with having quality ingredients, and this Calrose Premium Medium Grain Rice certainly does not disappoint.
Grown on a family farm in the United States, this top-notch rice brand is ideal for a wide range of recipes including traditional Japanese sticky rice.
All-Natural and Gluten-Free
Keeping your family safe from harmful pesticides or other dietary issues is easy with this all-natural gluten-free sushi rice.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
In a move that you don’t see often with gourmet food products, the manufacturer offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Sealable Bag for Longer Freshness
This comes in a resealable bag to help extend the freshness of the product and ensure you’re always getting quality.
- Grown on a sustainable family farm.
- Buying rice from this company supports an American small business.
- One of the more expensive options on this list.
You’ll love the fact that this sushi rice has a consistent texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
If you’re looking for the perfect sushi for your next culinary endeavor, then you’ll enjoy Natural Earth Products Kosher White Rice. This product is certified kosher, non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free.
One clear sign is that it cooks quickly with a sticky texture. This rice from Natural Earth Products is done in only a few minutes.
This organic rice is ideal for those who try to add more natural foods into their everyday diet.
Included Storage Canister
Instead of fighting with a bulky bag after your rice arrives, you can enjoy the included canister with lid for easier pantry stacking and long-term storage.
- Grown in the United States.
- Traditional sticky texture unique to Japanese cooking.
- Extremely costly for only two pounds of uncooked rice.
You’ll love the small package size and affordable price point, which make this the top rice for sushi at home.
If you’re only trying to make sushi rice at home for the first time, then there’s a good chance you don’t need a whole horde of rice to get started.
Instead, this Nishiki Premium Grade Rice offers a quality product at a low volume and an affordable price point.
Non-GMO Project Verified
If limiting the number of genetically altered foods in your diet is a concern, you’ll be happy to hear that Nishiki Premium Grade Sushi Rice.
Nishiki features a consistent quality that you’re sure to enjoy time and again.
Perfect for Sushi Use
When cooked, this rice has an extra gluten heavy texture, which makes for the ideal consistency for use in sushi recipes.
- Low price point and high quality make this the perfect rice for sushi at home.
- Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Two pounds of rice might not be enough for some households.
What Makes the Best Sushi Rice?
A wide variety of rice such as white or brown rice can be used to prepare sushi.
However, the best rice for preparing this meal can be identified by these qualities:
- Not mushy: The sushi should not be mushy or sticky if the rice is properly cooked even when the grains seem to click together.
- Translucent: It is important to check this quality when you rinse the rice. In its raw form, the rice should be translucent. If it is not, it is not the best choice.
- Rounded grains: The rice should have rounded grains and should be clean before preparation.
Look out for these qualities when buying rice for preparing sushi.
What Type of Rice is Used For Sushi?
Although there are different types of rice such as the long-grain rice, medium-grain rice, and the short-grain rice, it is a common belief among the Japanese that the best rice for this delicacy should be the short-grain rice that is commonly called sushi rice due to its exclusive use in preparing sushi.
Sometimes, expect the best rice to have a white spot at one of its ends.
That’s the trademark. In addition, it is also believed that white rice is better for preparing sushi than brown rice because the former has all the qualities of good rice for preparing the delicacy while the latter lacks those essential qualities.
How to Choose the Best Rice For Sushi?
It is important that you choose the best rice due to the wide varieties of rice to choose from and the need to get the best recipe for it.
Consider the following when choosing the best rice for it:
- Check the texture of the rice: How does the rice taste in your mouth after cooking it? The rice should leave no strange taste in your mouth but should leave your mouth clean.
- Check the flavor: The rice should have a flavor you can easily taste. Check for this when buying rice for sushi.
Final Verdict: Best Rice For Sushi
When looking for the best, consider using the criteria discussed in this article to make your choice.
That will help you get the best rice that will offer you a memorable experience when having your favorite sushi meal.